Thursday, November 1, 2007

Reflections: Kendo

There are two things that I realize about Kendo and why it is become such an important part of my life in such a short time.

Firstly, is the fact that I approach it, or at least the preparation for training in a very ritualistic way. I try to shower, to clear not just my body but to also refresh my mind, especially if the day had been long and grueling. Then I take my time carefully laying out my equipment, from my shinai's to my heel protector inside my bogu bag (which at the moment is actually my friend's suitcase). After that, I carefully check that I have enough water - and yes, this includes the two cans of V, my energy drink of choice - inside a separate bag to which I have easy access to. Only once I have everything I need that I set off for the dojo.

On the walk to, I try to relax my mind. Thankfully the scenery is pleasant enough, save for the occasional angry bird swooping at my head. Music helps but is not always necessary.

Then once I get there, I take a moment to catch myself before actually changing, another process that I also approach with great detail. The gi must be put on slowly, and must be on in a manner that makes me comfortable to wear it, and the same goes for my hakama. The tare and do comes on last before I leave the changing rooms and they too must feel comfortable before I can step out.

Next, is of course the laying out of the kote, men and tenugui. And during this time I try to relax and just tell myself to have fun and learn. Lets face it, my life is a mess and having something that is routine, ritualistic and stable is a welcoming escape from reality.

This brings me to my second point, and it might sound like a load of crap but it works for me. Like I said, my life is a mess - mentally at least. In Kendo even though my body goes through all sorts of pain, be it my right heel, the blisters on my left foot, bruised forearms and even the occasional vomiting, my mind and spirit is at peace. Kendo provides me balance.

I just hope writing about it doesn't jinx the whole thing.